Wednesday, May 5

Life's a Beach

Today was my usual day to go into my oldest's classroom at school and be the mother's helper for the day. Usually I read with the children, but today my task was cutting frogs. Paper frogs, for a performance in a few weeks.

My youngest goes to play with a friend for the hour or so that I am at school. The two play nicely together, friends in their own right. Usually I spend the rest of the morning at my friend's kitchen table, drinking coffee and being talked down from whatever ledge I might be on that day. My friend has been very instrumental in my life over the last few months, so I am glad our children enjoy each other so much.

Today I had planned to pick my little one up and head out around town to run errands: library, dry cleaner, bank, food pantry, Wal-mart... the list goes on.

None of it happened.

The three of them joined another friend and child at the beach to enjoy the abnormally warm May weather. So that's where I headed to meet them.

We ended up staying there until it was time for the three moms to head out and pick our older children up from the preschool they all attend, the tie that binds us all as friends. Our children were wet and sandy, tired and with full tummies (from a quick run down to McD's). They had spent the morning playing in sand, poking fish, running, splashing, and we spent the morning lying on the dock in the sun, sharing our trials, tribulations and triumphs of mommyhood and wifedom.

Wal-mart will be there tomorrow.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Aw, I love that you just enjoyed the moment. They are far too precious and fleeting, and really need to be enjoyed.