Wednesday, May 26

Classroom Mom

Wednesday mornings I visit my oldest's first grade classroom, to read with the children, be a mother's helper. Do whatever I can to help the teacher. I love having this opportunity. My daughter loves to have me in the classroom, and is so proud. I think she even tries to work better when I am there! And I know the teacher really needs my help. They all do.

Today she gave me a task that I have not yet done before. A bulletin board. Ugh. Something crafty.

I hate crafts.

Really, I do. I do not have the patience to sit and cut little whatevers to fit into the spots they are designed for. Forget scrapbooking. That's why God made photo albums with already made sleeves. Knitting? Needlepoint? Too stressful for me. I get too agitated. About all I can really tolerate is crayon-coloring (something we do a lot of). Now THAT is cathardic.

I didn't get as far as the teacher wanted me to, I'm sure. I was too fastidious with how the background paper lined up with the edges, and how to get the least amount of staples into the board, making sure to leave enough non-stapled space for the other stuff she needs to put up!

I wonder if my task next week will be to finish the board, or if the teacher, or some other more crafty parent helper, will have redone it? Maybe I'll sneak back there tomorrow to check.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I used to hate crafts. I still am not a fan of paper crafting, but I am beginning to like creating things. Regardless of how little you got done I am sure the teacher is grateful for the help. And how wonderful for your daughter to get to show you off to her friends! What a great experience for both of you.

Amy said...

What a fun thing for both you and your daughter!
I used to hate crafts. Then I decided as much as I love crafty things, I need to learn how to do them. Now, I love crafting! Not paper crafting, though. I lack the imagination for that.