Sunday, February 21

Get Off The D@$n Phone!

A few nights ago we went to the Family Fun Night at our oldest's elementary school. It was all about family fitness. Kids were running around, doing jumping jacks, Tae Kwon Do, Zumba dancing. It really was a lot of fun.

My husband and I were jumping and dancing along with the kids. But all along the gym walls stood parents, mostly dads, texting away on their cell phones or iPods. As their kids had fun, they couldn't put those things down. And I thought, "How sad. For these kids."

Don't get me wrong... I'd love to have a better phone or an iPod right about now. What better way to pass time while waiting for gymnastics to end, or for your turn to come up at the dentist while you wait, again, for him to poke around at a tooth you've recently had removed? But I digress.

We had a wonderful time playing with our kids the other night. That's what those nights are supposed to be about. So, please, just put the phone down. Facebook will wait, but the little girl shaking her booty with you won't wait much longer.

No comments: