Thursday, August 22

In the Matter of a Day

Overnight, it happened.

Or rather, while I was out for a run. It happened.

My baby grew up. He decided he wasn't a baby anymore. He was a big boy.

Gone was the baby who would choke on a little baby food poofie. Gone was the baby who pushed away noodles. Gone was the baby who was content to cuddle with mommy and nurse to sleep. Here to stay was the baby who wanted a cup full of milk. Here to stay was the baby who wanted to eat the same food as his big sisters.

Mommy wasn't ready. Mommy looked forward to those quiet moments holding her son and caressing his chubby cheeks as he fell asleep. Mommy took far longer than needed most evenings to nurse her baby and rock him to sleep.

I tried. Oh, I tried, to convince him every day, not to give up on Mommy. But, he's simply just ready. Ready to be a big boy.

Thankfully, I've clued in to a lullaby to sing to him at bedtimes so I can get his little cuddly body to snuggle in to me a few more times. I will cling to that song for as long as I can. For as much as Mommy is ready, Mommy isn't ready.

1 comment:

Amy said...

They grow up so fast! Love this post. Although it is too true.