Tuesday, February 5

Police Prescence

For the last six weeks, policemen have been at my children's schools. Squad cars parked outside. Men inside. Dogs on patrol.

In one school, the police officer and principal stand at the end of the hallway during dismissal time, grim, serious looks on their faces. It's disheartening. It's frustrating.

I can no longer walk about the school to tend to my duties as PTO Treasurer without inconveniencing myself, my family, or the school staff. I can no longer peek my head into their classrooms, to see their blonde rimmed faces smile at me and wave from the in the middle of the pile of friends. I can no longer give my teacher friend a quick wave or hug of support during her sometimes long, long days.

My children's schools should not be this way. This does not make them safer. This does not make me feel more at ease.

All of the parents nod their head in support of this measure. "Something needs to be done," they say. But I know I am not alone in feeling that this is all more than needs to be done. I know this because I've talked to people, who, like me, have said "I feel this way, too, but I'm too scared to say it."

So I will say it.

I know what happened six weeks ago, so very, very nearby. I know. 

That is not the norm. The chances of that happening again are so infinitesimal.

I don't support having an armed police officer in my school. Not when my children are 5 years old. I will agree that some policies in the schools were lax, and needed review. But not with a gun, for my children to see every day, at the young age of 5.

They are far too young to grow up so quick. Their innocence will be gone before I know it. Their innocence should be allowed at school. Nurtured. Protected. But not this way.

1 comment:

Amy said...

This is such a hard topic. I completely understand both sides of the story. I am so glad my kids are not in school yet, and I dread the day they have to go, because I worry about the crazies out there.