One of the pieces of advice I got when we started our family was to never wake a sleeping baby. Even when doctors told me to wake my girls so they got the proper feedings in, I never did. It just didn't seem to make sense. You finally get your little one to go to sleep, why in the world would you chance anything good and wake that child up? Sure, some days I was extremely uncomfortable for a time, as my children drink "mommy milk." Small price to pay in exchange for a happy little bundle.
Fast forward eight years.
Yesterday, I had to wake up my sleeping little bundle. It happens more often than I think I really want to admit.
Naptimes and the schedule for a family of 6 very often don't mix very well. I feel badly that my littlest bundle of hope and baby babble is a carseat napper most of the time. Luckily, we have been blessed with perhaps the most wonderful baby on the planet, right from the beginning with her 2 hour labor.
As my other girls put on shoes and got ready for yet another drive across town for this or that, I tiptoed into the baby's room to rouse her from her nap, once again cut a little too short. She was sleeping on her tummy, her little tooschie pushed up into the air, her left cheek smooshed and puffy against the mattress of her crib. I laid my head down next to the mattress to watch her sleep for a minute, taking in all the baby smells in her room. The diapers. Wipes. The scent of her sheets washed in a baby detergent. The warmth of her sleeping breath.
Gently I stroked her fuzzy head, patted her back. She made a small little cry and I picked her up, hugging her close to me, and carried her downstairs. As I put her into her carseat, she caught sight of all her big sisters, and gave us all one of her famous toothy smiles. Her legs started kicking in her carseat, smiling, ready for another trip in the van!
1 comment:
What a sweet post! I love that time with the little ones. It is so precious. Watching mine nap makes me so happy. I am glad yours is so happy.
In response to your comment, I have looked my whole life for a friendship like the one I have with Heather. I was always jealous of girls who had "best friends," and so when I found mine, I think I took a quick trip to heaven. Of course you can live vicariously through me. I don't mind at all, and I hope you can find another whose friendship will fill you. Not to take the place of your other, but to help fill that emptiness. If you lived closer, I would so do that for you! :)
Post a Comment