Monday, August 1

I Looked Evil in the Eye

On a worn, grassy path through a park meadow in town, I looked evil in the eye. I had known I would be seeing him. Every day as I passed him I made sure to look at the ground, the trees, the sky, my children. Anything to avoid him. But then I thought to myself, isn't that just the same thing as avoiding the car in the parking lot?

So I looked him in the eye. And he smiled at me. And said hello.

How dare he? This person who so literally, intentionally, selfishly and cowardly pursued a change in so many people's lives?

My gaze did not waver. I put forth everything I had to tell him. He may have changed my life, but to the dismay of many he did not destroy it. So many, many things have been made better.

I looked evil in the eye. He looked away first.

3 comments:

Amy said...

You are a strong, brave woman. Good for you!

Nicole said...

You are amazing. I'm proud of you!
XOXO

Anonymous said...

WHY THE HECK are people proud of you? yes you managed to get your family past what YOU did to them and what YOU were involved yourself in with the other family. but proud of you?? seems silly seeing how you are just playing the victim. STOP THINKING THE WORLD IS AGAINST YOU AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS.