On Monday, I went to a funeral for a person I didn't know.
Last week, emails and phone calls spread like wildfire one early morning. Sadness on the day before summer vacation.
For all my criss-crossing of town and school, I had met her only once, though I'm sure I'd seen her dozens of times. She was an every mom: Soccer, ballet, camp, PTO. Our daughters were in the same class.
My husband asked me why I wanted to go to the services for someone I didn't know. But that is also a question I am sure was raised in other houses, other minds last week. "It's just a mom thing," I replied, as I looked at my oldest daughter. "It's just something I need to do."
She could have been me. Young, pretty, blonde, wife, daughter, friend, mom. Taken too soon by a heart that didn't work quite right.
Yesterday, I talked with her husband. I am so impressed by him, though I am sure shock is driving him right now. Celebrating the end of school and the start of summer with his young children at the BBQ at their teacher's home. You would not know to look at him that 8 days before his world had ceased as he knew it.
For the last 8 days, I've hugged and kissed and pinched little bathing-suited booties a little more than I did before (if that is possible!). It's just a mom thing.
1 comment:
Oh, Amy! That breaks my heart. It is a mom thing, and I am sure her husband appreciated your support. It is amazing how fleeting life can sometimes be, isn't it? Thank heavns we have these moments.
Post a Comment