Saturdays in Spring grow increasingly busy for our family as the children get older (and grow in number!). Birthday parties are in abundance. And other commitments: Girl Scouts, sports, school.
Saturday night we went on a "family date," as I coined the night. We dressed up pretty, the girls in dresses, mommy in high heels. My husband and I decided to take our family not to our usual barbeque family restaurant, but a nicer venue, in the center of town, on the one of the quaint main streets. We'd been there 6 months before for our anniversary, and while it was fancy, their website termed them "family friendly," so off we went.
We even had to make a reservation. An appointment to meet! Quite a feat for a family of six.
We were seated upstairs in the restaurant, near the TV showing the NCAA games and the bar. We ascended the stairs and rounded the corner, following the maitre 'd in a line, one by one, looking a bit like an emptying clown car. We passed a table where a man and a woman were seated. As I walked by, I heard him say, "oh, great."
It didn't really dawn on me until I had sat the children down what he had said. Nor did it dawn on me until afterward that I should have brought his inappropriate comment to light.
What was he expecting? Do my husband and I not have a right to take our family out to dinner? Do we not have a right to enjoy the offerings of our town because we have children?
My children behaved perfectly. Because children can. They used their manners. They sat still. They colored. They talked. They ate their food. They did not fling their food (or their poo, as I am sure this man was expecting). They did not cry. They did not whine. (The only wine was the Pinot Grigio in my glass.)
Unfortunately, the man and the woman did not see this. In their judgement, they had asked for their check shortly after we arrived, and made a show of their departure, casting disapproving glances in our direction. That is their loss.
When we arrived home we asked the girls, "How was our family date night?"
Their response? "Oh! Great!"
1 comment:
What a delightful family outing! I am sure the girls will remember that for a long time to come. And don't worry about the guy. He is a turd. He missed out on a nice evening with his girl. I think you are awesome for taking your girls on your date. That is adorable!
Post a Comment