Monday, March 14

Night and Day

I have a friend who couldn't be more different than me. I am married, she is single. I have 4 children, she has 1. I have "regular" parents and lots of siblings, she is the child of a famous children's author. I am home with my girls, PTOing and driving carpools, She is working, and going to school. She is very organic, and I am learning to be, thanks to her. I think each of us has parts of a life that the other one wants to experience.

Our friendship began a year ago. Before that, I had thought she was a little "off." But our girls went to preschool together, and desperately wanted playdates. Finally, we began to talk. And I was so ashamed to say that I had judged her.

As I have with all my friends, I told her the entirety of the path my life went down, and she could have judged me, too. Instead, she lifted me up, embraced me. She had so much to offer me, new ways to grow, express anger and sorrow, ways to heal. I have learned so much about myself, people, life, God. She opens herself and her home up to me whenever I need it, without question, and often with sacrifice of her own. And I know when she shows up at my home that she has a need from me. The girls all play, and we drink tea or lemonade, and help each other the way only honest friendship can.

But most of all, she has taught me not to judge. Judgement has no part in a friendship.

We do not see each other often, but thanks to the blessing of electronics are able to keep in touch and share often. Countless days I am grateful to her for her being, because without her I do not think that I would be where I am, my family would be where we are.

1 comment:

Amy said...

It makes me happy to know you have someone who can help you so much. Someone to help you fill the void that is left in your life when your "friends" left. Those friends are priceless.