... That they like their minivan.
I should know. I used to be one.
A little over a year ago, I totaled my minivan. Sounds serious, but it was really a stupid mistake (among a few other things in my life). I had dropped a friend off at her car, and waited until she safely drove away. Then I headed toward home, reaching for my cell phone (for shame!) to call my husband and see what I needed to bring home for our evening. Smack into a light pole in the middle of an empty parking lot. (Cell phones and driving do not mix!.) Both airbags deployed, thus rendering my van a total loss.
So we began the search for a new car. It had to be big enough to hold our brood of 5. But since the children were growing, and car seats and travel needs getting smaller, we decided to forego the minivan and look for a "non-mom" car. And we found one. It has 4 wheel drive. It has less bells and whistles than the van, but when I drive it sans children, I feel like ME and not like MOM. And we can take it out on date night and feel like we really are on date night.
Now we are back to the big car seats and many little needs for travel, much to our very big surprise, as you know. And though we still love to drive the car, and I can still be in it, even with the kids, and feel like ME and not so much MOM, we miss the van. At least, I do.
I miss the functional doors it had. I miss the DVD that I could really use right now while nursing in parking lots with the other kids in the car. I miss the sunroof now that it is finally spring and the snow has melted and there is sun in the sky to enjoy. I miss the cargo hold for all the groceries! (I've been priding myself in stretching the time between grocery store trips to 2 weeks, but doing so has a price.)
Over the last few weeks I've talked with a few minivan moms who have secretly sided with me.... they like their vans. Even though it makes them feel like MOM.
So I am going to do what most moms won't. I admit that I liked my minivan.
2 comments:
Oh my goodness, I want a minivan! the car doesn't hold the stroller, and the two car seats really are not fitting. Since I am wanting another child, a minivan is what I really want. I am not ashamed to admit it. :)
Amy, if you go for 3, keep on going to 4. It really is easier!
Post a Comment