Tuesday, March 29

Nothing Left to Say

I saw an old friend today, in the main office of my littlest's new school. It's not a school we are at by choice, but rather by no choice. If we'd had our wish, nothing would have changed.

I didn't know this old friend was there when I entered the office. It was only during my brief conversation with office staff that I was aware of her behind me. I waited for her to say something. I didn't say a word.

I realized that I didn't have to. There is nothing left to say. There are 20 years of history, and nothing left to say. She made a choice, based on one part of a conversation that I was never allowed to have. It's a loss we both feel, my husband and I; part sadness, part melancholy, part pity, part relief.

She was still there when I left, no words shared. In another lifetime, a lifetime was shared. But now. Now there is nothing left to say.




No comments: