There are days that, when I wake up, I have a list of things I want to accomplish that is, in all reality, just plain too long. I'm an overachiever, at least in theory.
My problem is my distractions during the day. Can I call them distractions? That just doesn't seem fair.
My babies mesmerize me. I get drawn in to watching them, what they do, how they move, and lose track of all other things I want to do. I am in awe of them. It's almost as though I can't get enough of taking them in. Like a drug. Maybe it's because I'm truly and painfully aware of what their being here represents to me now.
I'm sure my husband tires of coming home and finding yet more papers added to my pile to sort through, a rug that still needs to be vacuumed, and baskets of laundry still waiting to be folded. I hope deep down that he understands how wonderfully, amazingly distracting his little ones can be to me! Is it selfish of me to spend so much time sitting with them, watching them move and play, just taking them in? I think maybe I didn't do that enough with my older children. So I do it now. Better late than never.
1 comment:
I love this post! It is beautiful, and not selfish at all. Kids need undivided attention sometimes. And your undivided attention will help them turn out to be better grownups. Besides, as they say, papers and messes will be there tomorrow, but little ones grow older every day and soon will not be so little or there so much. Although "they" say it much more eloquently.
Post a Comment