Thursday, February 23

The Secret to Candy Land Success

I've finally figured out the way to successfully win Candy Land. I just spent an hour playing the game (among others) with my almost five year old.

Don't go first.

I've just played 8 rounds of Candy Land with my daughter. Five of which, I went first, and I won. I'm not one of those moms that lets my kids win just to let them feel good. Besides, as she was setting up the game, I caught her stacking the deck, in her favor. (She's no dummy.)

After time number 5, I clued her in to my secret. Not surprisingly, she then wanted me to go first. And then I started losing and she started winning. Three wins was enough to boost her morale.

Then we went on to playing other games. Noah's Ark Memory. Rondo Vario Caterpillar (or calepitter, as she calls it.) The same tactic didn't work as well, but did work more often than not.

Makes you wonder... what will you win in life if you don't always have to be first?

No comments: