Thursday, December 8

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas ...

Christmas is still over two weeks away, but I got our first group teacher gift solicitation this morning at ballet class for one of my girls.

The suggested amount was $15 per student ($10 for the teacher, $5 for the helper). Well, sorry, that's a little rich for my budget. And for a lot of people's budgets, I am sure. They just don't say anything.

I did. I gave $5. Total. Cheapskate? No, not really. Honest is more like it.

Multiply that amount times the three school age children I have, times all the activites, leaders, teachers, helpers, etc., and you get one hefty sum of money. So, I'm sorry. I just can't give that much.

Does that mean I do not appreciate the teachers who help my children learn? Absolutely not. But it appears I was judged that way, taking in the whispers and corner-of-the-eye looks I was given by the group of moms organizing this gift. Personally, I would much rather receive the random notes and hugs throughout the year. But that is just me.

It's not the first time I've balked at the too-high suggested amount for a gift for children's teachers. And it's not the first time I gave an amount that was less than asked. And it won't be the last.

Christmas isn't about the present anyway. Well, it is... just not that one.

No comments: