Monday, November 7

A Time for Everything: Respect the Bird

I heard part of a FOX News radio broadcast about two weeks ago. The speaker was saying something like, "You can tell by the number of Christmas decorations in the store that it's almost time for children all over to get ready to Trick or Treat."

We laugh, but it's true. Each year Christmas comes earlier and earlier. Shopping days are numbered in a store window by me, and have been since the end of September. Stores are already playing Christmas music, and television commercials have been advertising the return of Christmas layaway. Christmas decorations are often the centerpiece for an autumnal feast. In a rush for the societal glutton, we tend to overlook the importance and meaning of so many other days.



Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Christmas, love the feelings and emotions that are invoked. My favorite Christmas decoration to put out is the tiny little candle in my small attic window. I can draw so much by viewing that little orb of light.

But Thanksgiving doesn't have much fake about it, not much that can be overdone. Just too big of a turkey, I suppose. And time spent with loved ones is true, and not too overwrought with high expectations.

And, there's stuffing on the table.

No comments: