Saturday, September 3

Grace and the Egret

A Heron and Egret totem teaches balance;
the ability to progress and evolve --
to walk into deeper waters without fear.


I wrote a note the other day. It was very short. It said,
"I am sorry. I forgive you."

While I was shopping for bottled water in preparation of the hurricane that hit the East Coast last weekend, I happened upon a person from my past in the parking lot of a grocery store in town.

Since the day in the meadow this past July I decided that I was going to look everyone involved in that sad chapter of my life in the eye. They very nearly broke me. Let them look away and run: I'm done. So, I looked her in the eye.

I did not say anything, but will always remember the words that were shouted at me in the darkened light. I will always remember the shrill, cackling laugh that followed me across the parking lot and into the store. It was rather frightening.

The store had no water, and shortly thereafter I walked out. The car was still there, but she was not. I got into my van and realized I was shaking. I sat for a few minutes until I calmed down. I began to write a note in response, encouraging blame to be placed not on me, but where blame is due.

The song on the radio caught my attention. It was talking about "grace." I stopped and listened. I began to write a note of apology and forgiveness. Before I could finish, she appeared and got into her car, and proceeded to drive the parking lots, nearly each row, before leaving altogether.

Shaken, I drove home.

Thursday, while shopping with my children, I saw someone else from my past in the very same store I was in a week earlier. I hesitated for a second, and simply walked around him, finishing my shopping. When I got to the parking lot, a silver van was parked next to my rental (my van was in the shop, and my rental was white with Florida plates). I took it as a sign, and wrote a note, which I left on the windshield.

"I am sorry.

I forgive you.

-Amy"

You know that I have been battling with forgiveness for quite sometime. I figured that taking a leap would push me, and get me on that road to where I can forgive myself.

From there, I took my children to the park. When we got out of our van, I noticed a white egret sitting on the shore of the river across the street. His neck was stretched very long and graceful.

I did not see the bird as we left the park, but I can tell you that from the moment I left the note, I have had a certain peace that I have not felt in a long while. I am not sure how long it will last, if it is even true, but you also know that I believe everything happens for a reason, and everything has meaning.

This is where the healing begins.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Good for you! What a relief it will be for you to have that weight lifted off of your heart. And forgiveness is the best way I know how to have peace. I am sorry people act that way to you. It always surprises me that they think they can treat another human the way they treat you. It breaks my heart, but I am so glad to hear it doesn't break your spirit.

Anonymous said...

Angry people want you to see how powerful they are...loving people want you to see how powerful YOU are.

Nicole said...

Remember.... Hurt people hurt people. Good for your being you! Be proud of you...

Michele said...

Those who are religious cling, where as those who are spiritual seek.