My youngest is three. Long past the time ready for potty training, but that's my fault. Now she is asserting her stubborn attitude, a birthright she got from both her mommy and her daddy. I am sure that we will have a battle of wills. A learning experience for us both.
When it gets right down to it, I just wasn't ready to give up the babyness. I needed the comfort that it brings. The fragrant smell of a new package of diapers when you open them. The cuddles, tickles, hugs and kisses that invariably come at the end of a diaper change. I still sing my kids songs at night when I tuck them in. Still cuddle up to each of them, rub their backs, and inhale their smell. I wash their clothes separately, still, in baby detergent, even though my oldest is approaching the age of 7.
My lack of insistence on the potty training means that I have been changing diapers every day for almost the last 7 years. Sometimes more than one tooshie, too! But maybe it is time to let the babyness go.
Or is it?
1 comment:
I opened a new pack of diapers today and for the first time really paid attention to the smell. Oh how sweet it is! And I have been changing diapers every day for 2.5 years. How odd I wouldn't notice the smell until now.
It is so hard to let them grow up, isn't it? I have to start potty training soon, but am dreading it. I have no idea where to begin. Good luck with letting go (if that is what you decide :) ) and if you have any tricks or secrets to changing the diaper, let me know!
Post a Comment